Monday, March 12, 2012

Elite Cigar - My Second Home

I've found my new home.  Elite Cigar in Addison is more like a bar with a cigar shop attached to it than a cigar shop with a small bar.  Lots of tables, booths, and a decent size bar.  Plenty of TVs for watching the game (whatever that game happens to be) and one of the best-stocked humidors I've seen in the area.  They had a bunch of brands and blends not often found in shops.  I expect I'll be spending a lot of my smoking time there.

During our first gathering at Elite, I started the night off with My Uzi Weighs a Ton by Drew Estate.  It had a heavy, full-bodied flavor but I couldn't pick up any of the individual elements of it.  CI says it has elements of earth, leather, pepper, sweetness, and cocoa.  I got some of the earthiness, but the other elements sort of eluded me.  I may have to try another before I decide whether I like it or not (and they ain't cheap).  I'm going to give this one a Meh but with the condition that I try another before it becomes official.

After emptying the clip of my Uzi, I lit up an Alec Bradley Prensado.  This little gem was great.  It reminded me of the Black Market but ramped up a notch.  The full-bodied flavor with hints of chocolaty sweetness, mild leather, and just a hair of spice made it easy to see how it earned a 96 rating and the 2011 Cigar of the Year  from CA.  Alec Bradley gets another finger-burner honor.

I finished the night with another Gurkha Black Dragon Fury.  Another 3 months in the humidor has only made this beauty even more of a beast.  The same goes for a 2-month aged Gurkha Doble Maduro I smoked on a solo return trip to Elite.  So much so that I've already ordered another 5 of the Doble and will be ordering another stack of the Fury as soon as I see it pop up on sale.

I also finally got around to trying the Gran Habano Corojo #5 that the old man sent a month or so back.  I can see why he likes those so much.  It had a good, earthy taste with some spice to it.  If I'd written this before smoking the Prensado and Fury last night, it might have gotten a finger-burner.  But for now, I'll just call it good.  Mighty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment