Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April Herf Plus

The April Herf came around and with it came the AJ Fernandez Fresh-Rolled (habano) compliments of Koob.  It won't knock anyone's socks off, but it had a good, woodsy taste with a little bit of pepper and a very slight sweetness on the exhale that was easy to miss but added an extra layer of flavor that I wasn't expecting for a budget smoke.  Nice choice, Koob.

In addition to the Herf, I've had a handful of other smokes over the past month.

Man o' War Virtue was a good, mild to medium cigar that made for a nice change of pace from the heavier smokes I've had lately.  Very creamy with a hint of sweetness to it.  While the first quarter of an inch was pretty harsh, it smoothed our and burned slow and smooth all the way to the nub.  It's a bit on the expensive side but was worth the averaged, per-stick price of the sampler it came in.

Graycliffe 1666 made its way into my humidor by accident.  I had intended to order the outstanding Graycliffe Double Espresso; however, the special I saw was for the Double Espresso size of the 1666.  A bit confusing, but what are you gonna do?  Anyway, this one a bit disappointing to start with since it wasn't the cigar I was expecting.  I really can't remember much about the flavor as I was mooning over the fact that it wasn't the real Double Espresso.  On the positive side, a sales manager at cigar.com (where I bought these) said he'd throw in the real ones for me on my next order since the naming of these is a bit confusing.  A nice gesture considering the mistake was mine.

I had high expectations for the CAO MX2.  I usually love maduros and the other double maduro I've smoked is one of my favorites (Gurkha's).  This one was a big disappointing, though.  I'm not sure if I built it up too much or what.  It had the type of earthy, coffee, slightly sweet flavor you'd expect from a double maduro, but it just didn't come out with all that much strength.  I wasn't impressed.

A couple of months ago, I split an order of Don Pepin's Blue label with Jape.  I wasn't too impressed with the first one.  It felt a tad on the dry side and wasn't too pleasant.  I let the rest age a bit longer and the results have been impressive.  Having a strong desire for a more woody and peppery cigar, I grabbed one of these and it fit the bill perfectly.  In addition to the wood and pepper, it had a slightly leathery taste with a subtle sweetness when cycled through the nose.  Definitely glad I picked these up.

I also recently had a Gurkha Special Ops.  Yes, another crazy name from Gurkha.  It started out fairly bland.  It wasn't until the second third that the flavor picked up and I could pick out the earthy, slightly sweet chocolatey flavors.  Even then, it wasn't too impressive.  However, oddly enough, about an hour after I finished it, I found myself really enjoying the memory of the flavor.  It was a strange but pleasant experience.

I've also revisited a couple smokes I tried many months ago but have since let age.  The Partagas Black Label is making a strong case for itself as my favorite cigar.  In fact, I think I'm about to go update the list.  The Alec Bradley Black Market seems to get better each time I smoke one (5 months in the humidor with plenty of bloom helped, I reckon).

No comments:

Post a Comment