Tuesday, October 9, 2012

September Herf (A Little Late)

I know, I'm a bit late with the September herf results but in my defense, I'm quite forgetful.  Anyway, September's offering was from new member Flappin and consisted of the Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon.  The same smoke Mike brought to the commie herf, but was so good that no one cared that it was a rerun.  However, there have been plenty of other new smokes the past month, so here we go...

Quesada Oktoberfest.  I split a box of these with a couple of guys at work and I'm wishing I'd kept it to myself since it turned out so good and is produced in such limited qualities.  The gorgeous, dark brown wrapper looks as good as it tastes.  There is a slight woodiness and a slight leathery quality to it with just a little bit of sweetness and creaminess hanging on the tastebuds.  It was blended to be paired with an Oktoberfest-style beer and the two go great together with each complimenting the other nicely.  Definitely a finger-burner but a tinge of disappointment that at the limited run.

Padilla Miami.  I've been wanting to try this one since the old man sent me a Padilla '68 a few months back.  The Miami's wrapper is dark and glistening with oils.  It produced a ton of smoke with loads of flavor including a bit of woodiness, spice, and a slight earthy sweetness.  Definitely worth the price of admission (especially since I found it in the bargain bin at a local shop) and one I'll be looking for again.

Padilla Signtaure 1932.  Yet another hit from Padilla.  Another dark and oily wrapper that produced smoke with a slightly sweet creamy flavor with a little spice and a hint of vanilla on the exhale that was smelled more than tasted.  A very tasty smoke.

Partagas Cifuentes and Partagas 1845.  I've been wanting to try the other offerings from Partagas since I like the Black Label so much (and used to smoke the original Partagas way back).  The Cifuentes and 1845 aren't nearly as good as their predecessors, though.  They both taste heavily of leather and wood with the Cifuentes being a degree or two stronger than the 1845.  Both were a bit disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment